Child Abuse Stories
Listen to the stories...
The following are just a few of the real life experiences of child abuse victims in Tulare County. These reflect the thousands of unique stories of children in our own communities. Children that are right in front of us.
- 3-year-old Sophia, of Exeter, was raped and killed. Her life was cut short in May 2011 when she was found injured and not breathing. Less than a month later Christopher Cheary was arrested by Exeter police. He was dating Sophia's mom.
Cheary is being tried for murder and sexual assault charges.
Sophia's tragic death has been the catalyst for the community to strive for child well being and prevent any other tragedies like Sophia's. Sophia's name is on the Farmersville Children Bench which is a symbol for the community's commitment to child well being. See more here.
- A 1-year-old Visalia girl was reported in critical condition in August 2012 after suffering internal injuries consistent with shaken baby syndrome.
- A 50-year-old man from Visalia, was sentenced to 45 years in state prison for 19 separate counts of lewd acts on a child under 14 and a single count of forcible rape.
- Alexander, a 2-month-old from Visalia, died and murder is suspected. A Visalia couple was charged in his death.
- Natalynn, a 3-year-old, died of blunt force trauma. Ryan Jones of Visalia was charged with her murder. Natalynn’s mother was charged with child endangerment resulting in serious bodily injury.
Case source: Tulare County District Attorney's office
Get Involved. Join CAPC.
Your $10 per year membership supports our educational programs to help prevent child abuse. You will receive:
- A pocket resource card.
- A blue ribbon magnet and our newsletter.
- You will also receive occasional updates, notifications and invitations to events and trainings.